Today, lets talk about what makes you grab a book! For me, there are a few things. Tell me, do you agree?
- Book Cover: Yeah, I said it, I look at the cover first! As I am browsing amazon, Net Galley, or the actual bookstore, if the cover doesn’t catch my eye, I don’t even read the blurb. I know they say you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, but I do. Thats not to say I don’t read books with non-eye catching covers, but those books have to get my attention in another way. Book covers are always the first round draft! So, what makes me love a cover?? Here are a few of my favorites
Yes, I like the hot guys. I also LOVE great color combos like Thief of Hearts and Kiss my Boots. Devil in Spring is another stunning example of using color well. I also like when the author does a custom photo shoot and the pictures are exclusive. I know this is super expensive and not practical, but when authors do it, the results are typically awesome, like #BAE.
2. So, one the cover has hooked me, I check out the blurb. Here is what I am looking for:
- Setting, characters (I want to know the who and the where)
- General idea of what type of trope is used (so, is it second chance, billionaire, step-siblings, etc)
- Nothing super cheesy. If the blurb writing makes me cringe, I probably will pass.
3. Next, I look at the author. I, like all readers, have authors I LOVE no matter what they write. I have typically read more than a few books by this person and have given each one a 4 or 5 star rating. For me, some of my auto-buy authors are Cynthia Eden, Susan Stoker, Alexa Riley, CL Stone, Cassandra Clare, Jay Crownover, and Sarina Bowen.
4. Finally, if its an author I haven’t read before, a cover that wasn’t really eye catching, or a blurb that left me feeling meh, the final way to get me to read a book is a recommendation from a trusted source. For example, I have learned that sometimes, my mom makes good recommendations if I am in the mood for a contemporary romance. If I want historical romance, Nick from Nick and Nereyda’s Infinite booklist has never steered me wrong (she got me hooked on Lisa Kleypas!). Renee at Addicted to romance has led me to a few absolute gems (she introduced me to Kerrelyn Sparks and Ruby Dixon!). Rowena from Book Binge has gotten me to read all kinds of authors that were well known but I had never read like Nalini Singh. Kim the Caffeinated book reviewer got me hooked on some great romance audiobooks. Angela of Angels Guilty Pleasures has led me to some great PNR reads! Whitney at shooting stars reviews has been my go to girl to find new reverse harem stories. These are just a few of the ladies I know I can count on to recommend something I would have passed on otherwise. There are so many great bloggers out there! Who do you know that gives the best recommendations?
Lets Discuss! How do you pick what books to read? Do you have a go to author or advisor to steer you? Are you a cover whore like me? (Please, someone else tell me they are a cover whore too!) Share in the comments!