Genres: Romantic Suspense
Source: ARC, NetGalley
Narrator: Hillary Huber
Also by this author: Monster in the Closet, Have You Seen Her?, Death Is Not Enough, Say You're Sorry
The Cincinnati detectives question everything they know--and everyone they trust--in the new novel of romantic suspense from New York Times bestseller Karen Rose.
Homicide detective Adam Kimble is no stranger to battling demons. But Meredith Fallon is a different kind of weakness: one that could actually be good for him, if only he would let himself depend on her. Meredith has loved Adam for a year, and seeing how hard he's worked to deal with his PTSD makes her feelings only stronger, but she respects his needs. Her work keeps her busy anyway: she counsels sexually abused women like Mallory Martin to help them reintegrate into the world.
But someone doesn't want Meredith helping women like Mallory, and Meredith finds herself in the crosshairs of a very determined killer. Adam would risk anything for her, but they'll soon find out she isn't the only target...
Edge of Darkness is everything I love about great romantic suspense! Here are the reasons I think you will love it too:
- Great characters: Meredith is a child psychologist but also suffers from depression. She has self harmed and attempted suicide in the past. She still struggles at times and it made her a very believable character. Adam is a recovering alcoholic who struggles daily. Again, this made him relatable and flawed.
- Fun supporting characters: their circle of friends is filled with fun people. Kate, the FBI agent who knits, Clarke, Meredith’s video game creating grandfather, Diesel, the hacker. They add a lot of depth to the story. I can’t wait to read more about them.
- Location: As a citizen of Cincinnati, I loved hearing about places in my town! It was great when she would mention Fountain Square, Columbia Parkway, etc.
- Suspense/Mystery: The plot revolves around a truly horrific act-human trafficking. The story is well written though and Rose doesn’t exploit the topic for shock value or anything. You really feel like you are solving the crime with them. The entire book takes place over a weekend and you get glimpses into Meredith, Adam, a young hooker named Linnea, and the bad guy.
- Heartbreaking: Linnea’s story had me in tears. This was a problem because I was listening while I drove. Driving and crying are not a good mix. But, man, its impossible to not care about this girl!
So, those are my 5 reasons you should read Edge of Darkness! I haven’t read the previous 3 books in the Cincinnati series, but I plan to. The audio is perfect by the way. My biggest struggle was not having whisper sync because I had the paperback and not the ebook!
- POV: 3rd
- Tears: yes
- Trope: second chance romance, police/FBI
- Triggers: View Spoiler »forced prostitution, child molestation, and human trafficking are all part of the story. None of the acts are detailed. Most of the story occurs after these situations took place and focus more on the after effects « Hide Spoiler
- Series/Standalone: stand alone
- Cliffhanger: View Spoiler »none « Hide Spoiler
- HEA: View Spoiler »yes with epilogue a few weeks into the future « Hide Spoiler