Reverse Harems have been come a little trendy in romance. Unsure what the RH thing is all about? Let The Book Disciple educate you a bit!
What is a reverse harem (RH)?
Its the opposite of a harem! Its one girl with 2 or more guys. She is the center of the group and the only love interest of the guys.
So she sleeps with like 5 guys at the same time?
NO! This is a big misconception about RH. Its not a gangbang. She might have relations with a different guy each day. She might have relations with a couple guys at the same time. Don’t assume she is sleeping with all the guys at the same time because that is not what all RH is!
Is it like a love triangle thing? Is she just dating them until she decides?
In a true RH, no, its a not love triangle (or octagon!) and the purpose is that she could never decide between the guys. There are some who cite that in Japanese RH, the girl does often choose or have a relationship with just one of the guys but is very close to the other guys. However, most of the RH books that are touted as RH don’t take this route.
Ok, where should I start?
Lets start with what type of story you like:
- The Ghost Bird series by CL Stone is a starting point for MANY readers. Its a very slow burn (we are 13 books in and the most she has done is kiss) and doesn’t have any PNR elements.
- The Veil Diaries by BL Brunnemer is a great series if you want slow burn, young adult characters but enjoy a PNR spin. Lexie is a necromancer.
- The Stardust series by Autumn Reed and Julia Clark is really New Adult as it starts when the main character turns 18; her harem guys are in college. Its contemporary with no magical elements. It is a slower burn, but there is sex in the last book or 2 (not with all the guys at once).
- The Seraph Black series is a mystical YA reverse harem that has some darker themes but they are not the main focus of the story. Seraph has had a tragic past.
- If you want erotica, start with the Rock Hard series by CM Stunich. Its contemporary erotica involving a band so if you like rock star romances and lots of filthy sex, this is the series for you!
- CL Stone has a more mature RH series set in the same ‘world’ as her YA series. The Scarab Beetle series is a slowish burn, but does have more intimate relationships between the characters. Its a contemporary with no PNR elements.
- The Walker Series by Coralee June was a surprise winner for me. Its a slow burn dystopian RH and it will kind of give you Hunger Game vibes. You know, if Katness didn’t pick between Peeta and Gail!
- The Dark Side series by Kristy Cunning is PNR with dark humor. Its also very steamy. I haven’t read it, but many of my RH friends RAVE about this series.
- The My Pack series by Lane Whitt is great if you like shifters! Book one is fairly tame, but by book two it gets steamier for sure (not erotic, but certainly 3-4 flames).
- The Four Horsemen series by LJ Swallow is a fantasy RH that is also a pretty good audiobook as well! Its a 3 flame story with all kinds of mythical and PNR creatures.
- If you want your RH to be erotic and hilarious, check out the hijinks harem by CM Stunich and Tate James. There are plumber puns, yall.
- Like sports romances? Check out The Reverse Play by Julia Clarke. She is their coach! Also, its a slow burn so if you want an adult, contemporary romance that is low heat, this is GREAT!
Now, this is FAR from an exhaustive list. These are just a few that either I have read or know a lot about and can give you some basic info.
Where can I find out more information about RH?
There are lots of places you can go if you want recs or information. First, check out RH Why Choose blog. They have a great release calendar and an awesome google doc of RH books. If you’re on FB, check out the WhyChoose readers group. Those ladies have the best recs for whatever your mood! If you want some more adult and steamy recs, check out Reverse Harem after dark.
Very informative post. Reverse Harems aren’t my style most of the time but I know they have become pretty popular in romance. So for those interested in this theme in romance, definitely a must read. Thanks for sharing.
I haven’t read many. I did however read Twin Savage by Sunniva Dee which I felt was RH for some of story.