Welcome to this week’s Sunday Post. This feature is brought to you by The Caffeinated Book Reviewer, so swing by after you are done here and get the full list of participants!
What I Reviewed:
- [30 Apr] Blaze by L. Wilder ★★★½
- [30 Apr] Whispers from the Dead by B.L. Brunnemer ★★★★
- [2 May] I Dare You by Ilsa Madden-Mills ★★★★
- [3 May] Tulsa by S.L. Scott ★★★★
- [4 May] Jock Row by Sara Ney ★★★★
- [5 May] Hot and Badgered by Shelly Laurenston ★★★★★
What’s Coming Up:
- Lead Me Home by AL Jackson
- Rescuing Wendy by Susan Stoker
- Edge of Darkness by Karen Rose (set in Cincinnati-where I live!)
- The Four Horsemen: Legacy by LJ Swallow
This Week’s New Releases:
- Any ebook of your choice up to $1.99 on my #FreebieFriday post!
- A “Cocky” titled book of choice (see the drama about this word in my non-bookish news section)
What I Found Online:
- Nothing…sorry! But there are some interesting threads in my non-bookish news section!
This Week’s Book Haul:
The book world was a bit aghast at an author who trademarked the word “Cocky” (there is still a lot of debate about if its the word alone, the word in a series or title, or the word in a special font) and is sending cease and desist letters to authors with the word Cocky in their book titles! The idea that someone could trademark a word is kind of crazy when you think about it. Its certainly a slippery slope. A few authors have shared that they got the letters and have either contacted a lawyer (RWA is getting involved) or, in the case of one author, changed the title of her book! If you wanna learn more about this crazy drama, check out this article from Author Grow. There is also an lawyer who is helping to explain it all at Legal Inspiration! Personally, no matter how this shakes out, I think its a bad move for this author. She is getting a lot of hate and I don’t think her career will improve….
And then Merriam-Webster joined in and I LOVED it!
‘Cockalorum’ (a rare word for “a strutting little fellow”) is thought to come from the obsolete Dutch ‘kockeloeren’ (“to crow”). https://t.co/mZWoQsPcEM
— Merriam-Webster (@MerriamWebster) May 4, 2018
In other news about people losing their minds, my students have lost their minds! We still have 3 weeks left and they have just thrown in the towel! Friday, a bunch of them decided just to not come to school because they didn’t get their senior picnic. My juniors have basically just stopped doing any work at all. The freshmen and sophomores are getting in trouble daily for acting out. Seriously-we still have 3 weeks left! We won’t all survive! And I teach in a private school. These kids are usually better behaved than public school kids. I can’t imagine what my public school friends are dealing with. Shudder…
Thats pretty much my week. Everyone losing their minds and me trying to hold the hell on until June 1st! How about you all? Since I am leaving for Jamaica in like 4 weeks, I cut 3 inches off my hair. It might not seem like much but when you have super curly hair like mine, thats a lot!
So, whats new with you this week? Did you read any of the same books I did? Did you find any great book deals I need to grab ASAP? Let me know in the comments!