So, I have been blogging for awhile now and realized I haven’t really taken the time to introduce myself or explain why I do this! Leave it to me to jump right into talking about books! (if you know me in person, I do this daily-I can relate just about anything to either a book I read or an episode of Scrubs or The Big Bang Theory. Seriously, try me!). So, without further adieu here is a bit of background!
1. I am a teacher and I absolutely love it. However, it wasn’t my first major in college. Actually, it was my 7th major (I have problems making decisions!). I got a Bachelors degree in History and then quickly realized there are no jobs for History majors. I went back to school and got my Masters in Education and have loved every minute of it (almost!). I taught 8th grade science for 5 years, then made the jump to teaching special education. Seriously, its awesome.
2. I am, quite possibly the worst speller in the world. As a teacher, its kind of embarrassing. I type everything so I can use spell check. My students love to find my mistakes. Its become a game. Even with spell check I still have at least one every day. Thankfully I can laugh at myself about it. (No joke though-I’m so bad at spelling sometimes even spell check can’t figure out what the heck I was trying to say!)
3. Why did I name my blog The Book Disciple? Well, of course, I wanted a catchy name. Then I remembered that creativity is not something I possess. So, I just started trying out a few phrases. I liked the word disciple because it means student. Really, its a very dedicated student. And when it comes to books, I am VERY dedicated. So, The Book Disciple was born (also, perhaps disciple stuck in my mind a bit because I teach at a Catholic school!)
4. I have been married for over a decade to a great guy who tolerates my book obsession. We have 2 dogs that we love even when they are terribly naughty. Calleigh is 6 years old and is our wild child. She pretty much demands your attention and if you turn your back for a second, she is in to something. Yoda is 8 years old and the complete opposite of Calleigh. He is laid back and lazy. He does have a hoarding problem though. He likes to get random things (paper plates, paper towels, clothes) and hide them under his bed. We name all our pets after characters in TV, movies, or books. Yoda is obviously from Star Wars. Calleigh is named after Calleigh Duquense from CSI: Miami.
5. We don’t have cable at our house. We do, however, have a 65″ flat screen TV (I have no idea why I felt we needed a big ass TV, but it seems like we should have one for the few times we do watch stuff!). That TV can usually be seen showing my binge watching of TV shows like Law and Order: SVU, Scrubs, The Big Bang Theory, and Criminal Minds. Thanks to having an apple TV, I don’t have to keep switching DVD’s. If you asked me a question about a show that on TV now, I probably wouldn’t know much. Unless it gets released on Netflix or Hulu, or I like the series enough to buy it on iTunes, I haven’t seen it.
6. I have never seen Game of Thrones. I feel I just need to say that since I think I might be the only person left who hasn’t seen it.
7. I don’t read erotica because it makes me really uncomfortable. My friends have always teased me about being a bit of a prude, and I’m okay with it! I don’t mind sex scenes in books-I mean, Hello! I do read romance and new adult which are filled with them-but I just can’t do erotica. And ya know what, I’m okay with that! Some people don’t like paranormal and thats okay too!
8. I had to get hearing aids when I was 32. It was seriously depressing at first to think I needed them at such a young age. I worried about what people would think (especially judgmental high school students that I teach). But, I hardly think about it any more. I don’t care who knows that I wear them and have kind of embraced it. But the cost of them was a bitch! (FYI-even though my hearing loss was NOT caused by loud music or anything I did but genetic and due to a ruptured ear drum from multiple tubes, insurance does not even help cover the cost. Major Bummer!)
Ok, I think that pretty much covers who I am! So, if you haven’t seen Game of Thrones either, let me know 🙂 I am really super excited that anyone reads my blog at all. Frankly, it was something I did because I wanted to talk about books and my husband was not interested! The fact that y’all read my blog is simply amazing to me and you have no idea how much I love y’all for it!
So, thanks! You guys Rock!
The Book Disciple, AKA, Samantha