Length: 9 hours 43 minutes
Series: The Veil Diaries #8
Genres: Paranormal Romance
Source: ARC, Publisher/PR
Narrator: Elizabeth Hart, Nelson Hobbs
Also in this series: Trying To Live With The Dead, When the Dead Come A Knockin', When to Fear the Living, Whispers from the Dead, When Evil Comes To Play
Also by this author: Trying To Live With The Dead, When the Dead Come A Knockin', When to Fear the Living, Whispers from the Dead, Found, When Evil Comes To Play
I'm Lexie Delaney, and I'm a necromancer. Which means, I can see the dead, talk to them, affect them. Not as fun as it sounds. Especially since the Veil closed and the dead have been stuck here. Things in town are getting tense. School is starting, and I'm already tired of our plan to keep our relationships quiet. Bodies keep showing up and no one has a clue as to why.
Ghosts are still missing and we're still searching the hiking trails for clues. Secrets are coming to light, answers are found. And the guys are snapping at each other. But I can keep everything together. Right?
When the Dead Come Home is book 8 in the series and I can’t believe it! You MUST read these in order. There is a lot of world building that has gone into the series and you would be lost if you tried to jump in at this point.
Ok, so here are a few of my notes while reading When the Dead Come Home:
- What is happening to Miles? He was my favorite guy up until this book. Now, he is a jackass.
- How do these people get employed in schools? Jadis shows up and must do magic to trick the school into hiring her as a guidance counselor.
- Dylan’s back again. I knew he was trouble. Also, kinda sad.
- Poor Riley! Oh my gosh! I mean, she was a jerk to Alexis about the whole polyamory thing, but no one deserves that.
- There is sex in this book!! And one of the guys is kind of kinky!
- So many POVs: Alexis (of course), but also all 5 of the guys, Rory, Jessica, Tara, and even Jadis. Holy moly!
- The Veil is open and we figure out who closed it (which also leads to who has been stealing souls)
Overall, this was a phenomenal addition to the series. When the Dead Come Home has a LOT going on, but you are so invested in everything, you gobble it up. I can’t wait to see where Brunnemer takes the series because she keeps surprising me!
I have enjoyed this entire series in audio and will continue to do so! Elizabeth Hart and Nelson Hobbs do a wonderful job. Hart has unique “male” voices for each of the guys and it’s so important in a story with 5 love interests!
- POV: multiple 1st
- Tears: no
- Trope: reverse harem, witches, shifters, vampires, necromancers
- Triggers: View Spoiler »One character is physically and sexually assaulted by her boyfriend (sexual assault doesn’t happen on page) « Hide Spoiler
- Series/Standalone: series
- Cliffhanger: View Spoiler »YES! So many questions! « Hide Spoiler
- HEA: View Spoiler »With the exception of Miles, Lexi is in a good place with all the guys and their relationship feels solid « Hide Spoiler