Length: 12 hours 13 minutes
Series: The Veil Diaries #5
Genres: Paranormal Romance
Setting: Wyoming, Colorado
Narrator: Carla Mercer-Meyer, Kris Koscheski
Also in this series: Trying To Live With The Dead, When the Dead Come A Knockin', When to Fear the Living, Whispers from the Dead, When the Dead Come Home
Also by this author: Trying To Live With The Dead, When the Dead Come A Knockin', When to Fear the Living, Whispers from the Dead, Found, When the Dead Come Home
My name is Alexis, though everyone calls me Lexie. I’m a Necromancer. I see the dead, talk to them, and help them move on. Well, I used to. Now, with the Veil closed, I’m the only way for a soul to cross over. It’s wearing me out, and according to my doctor, it’s going to killing me.
I don’t know how to tell the guys. I’m working on it, but there is so much going on right now; Isaac’s acting strange, Ethan’s worried that his brother isn’t eating or sleeping, Asher’s dad is back, and Tara is still snooping around my bedroom. My symptoms are getting worse, and we’re running out of time. For everyone.
Why should you read The Veil Diaries:
- Unique paranormal concepts! Lexie is the keeper of ‘the veil’ which is the passage between this world and the next for souls.
- Great heroes! I love all the guys. They are each different and bring something special to the group.
- Good balance between relationships and plot! The books all have a solid balance so that you aren’t getting too much teen angst about relationships but not totally ignoring it either. The budding relationship with the guys is woven in with the day to day struggles of dealing with the dead. It feels very natural.
This is a series and you MUST read it in order. Hopefully I have convinced you to give it a shot. If you like paranormal stories with a twist, The Veil Diaries is great! If you are looking to maybe give a Reverse Harem book a shot, this is a great place to start. Its a very slow burn (by book 5 there have been a few kisses and that is it) so you see the group build their feelings in a very organic manner. While sometimes the overly dramatic heroine makes me ragey, she has grown on me a great deal!
Bonus: If you read her other series, Books of Stone, there is a crossover that is pure delight!
Finally, I have listened to this entire series on audio and these narrators are top notch! If you are an audiobook fan and curious about this series, they are worth a listen!
- POV: dual 1st
- Tears: no
- Trope: necromancer, reverse harem
- Triggers: none in this book; some in previous books
- Series/Standalone: series
- Cliffhanger: View Spoiler »the book comes to a good conclusion, but there is still so much more to discover « Hide Spoiler
- HEA: View Spoiler »again, the series isn’t over, so its not an ending at all yet! « Hide Spoiler