Series: Lords of the Highlands #4
Genres: Historical Romance
Source: ARC, NetGalley
Also in this series: The Highland Duke, The Highland Commander, The Highland Guardian, The Highland Renegade, The Highland Earl, The Highland Rogue
Also by this author: The Highland Duke, The Highland Commander, The Highland Guardian, The Highland Renegade, The Highland Earl, The Highland Rogue
He is the last man she would ever marry…After being unceremoniously jilted by her betrothed, Lady Mairi MacKenzie is humiliated and heartbroken – but she’s not desperate. As the daughter of an earl, she won’t give her hand to just anyone, and she definitely isn’t swayed by a last-minute proposal from Laird Duncan MacRae. The powerful clan chieftain may be disarmingly handsome and charming, but he’s not a nobleman. Mairi doesn’t want his pity or his charity – even though his dark smoldering gaze makes her melt with desire.
She is the only woman he could ever love…Dunn may be a battle-hardened clansman, but he’s always had a soft spot for Mairi. For years, she tormented him with flirtation – only to reject him. But he’s not giving up. When Mairi is attacked by redcoats, Dunn goes after the woman he loves. Through brute strength and fierce action, he will protect her life at any cost. But to win her heart, he will have to show her the tenderness in his own.
The main characters of The Highland Chieftain were introduced at the end of The Highland Guardian and I am thrilled to finally get their story.
What I loved about The Highland Chieftain:
- Dunn loves Mairi and isn’t afraid of that!
- Mairi and Dunn have a miscommunication/misunderstanding, which I normally hate, but they are able to get past it fairly early on (before the 1/2 way mark) and I loved that
- Its really Dunn and Mairi against the world-her father, the Redcoats, and anyone else who stands in their way! They won’t let anyone hold them back!
- I loved the relationship between Dunn and Mairi. They are very different-she was raised as the daughter of an Earl who was expected to marry well. He is a rugged highlander who has been the right hand man of the Earl of Seaforth. However different these two might be, they absolutely love each other.
- Dunn says some seriously swoonworthy things throughout the story. Its so romantic!
The Highland Chieftain is perfect for a weekend binge that will take you away to Scotland and the beauty of the landscape while giving you a gorgeous love story for the ages! Jarecki also does a wonderful job of explaining her historical influences at the end of the book so you know what aspects of the book are historically accurate and which were embelished. As a history buff I think this is bliss!
Yall know I like maps and need to see what is described and Jarecki does a beautiful job of describing where in Scotland Dunn and Mairi are located.
- POV: 3rd
- Tears: no
- Trope: secret relationship, opposites attract
- Triggers: none
- Series/Standalone: stand alone
- Cliffhanger: View Spoiler »no « Hide Spoiler
- HEA: View Spoiler »yes with sweet epilogue « Hide Spoiler
other Scottish romances by authors like Maya Banks, Judith McNaught, Monica McCarty…then you will probably like The Highland Chieftain!