Series: Strays #1
Source: ARC, Edelweiss
Also in this series: Stray Moon
Also by this author: Stray Moon
Shiloh Harrison was hoping for a few days off to recover from a particularly nasty assignment, preferably with the help of the talented hands (and, well, the rest of his body too) of her sexy boyfriend, Vincent. But when a group of vampires takes an entire trailer park hostage, there’s nothing to do but make her apologies and get to the scene.
Such is the life of a Federal Marshal in the Paranormal Investigators Unit.
Yet this isn’t like her typical track-and-nab case: something is going on that has vampires scared, and it takes all her strength not to imagine what could frighten such powerful creatures. Unfortunately, she doesn’t have that option. Her boss is MIA, someone is snatching vampires, and there’s a ticking clock that can only end one way: a bloodbath.
Unless she can stop it.
Stray Magic had me confused initially. I felt dropped into a story in progress, but it said book 1 one of the series. After the first chapter though, I was settling into the story pretty well and found several things I really liked:
- Unique world: its modern times but the world knows about shifters and vampires. Our heroine works for an agency that deals with all things paranormal.
- Shiloh is tough and spunky. If you like your heroines to be independent and in charge, you will like Shiloh.
- Interesting plot! I found I liked the mystery of it all. Who is kidnapping supernaturals? Who is creating revenants? What is up with Shiloh and Vincent? What is up with Shiloh and Tennyson?
- This isn’t a romance really. There is a boyfriend, and an ex-boyfriend but neither relationship is the focus of the story. I actually found it more enjoyable than I expected to not be reading a straight up romance.
Overall, the story was engaging and fast paced which kept me reading! My initial confusion was quickly passed but I found the ending to be a bit sudden. Stray Magic introduced me to a world that I found fascinating and am curious to see where the author takes the story from here. The blend of magic, mythology, and the paranormal made for a compelling read for sure.
- POV: 1st
- Tears: no
- Trope: vampires, shifters, magic
- Triggers: none
- Series/Standalone: stand alone
- Cliffhanger: View Spoiler »Kind of; the main arc of the story is resolved but many things are left open for the next book « Hide Spoiler
- HEA: View Spoiler »this isn’t really a romance story; by the end, I’m not sure that Shiloh is ‘with’ anyone anymore « Hide Spoiler
Authors like Dannika Dark, Patricia Briggs, Ilona Andrews…then you will probably like Stray Magic!
I am glad you enjoyed this one.
I saw this review on another blog as well! She gave it a pretty decent review and she actually gave the exact same rating you gave, as well as the similar comments. Huh, I guess this book is really worth checking out. Great review!